My Feedback Thoughts

The two articles I read were A fixed mindset could be holding you back and Silence the critical voices in your head. I found them to be both intriguing.  With the first article I really related to it because growing up and even now, I still feel like I have a fixed mindset.  I had always been striving towards A's, since that is what my family had usually said I should achieve and when I knew I wouldn't achieve it I would either give up on the class or just withdraw.  I felt for the longest time that I was going no where and I thought that school wasn't for me so I decided to work for 3 years.  It was only during those three years fully working that I realized that I could do school and graduate I just had to set my own standards that I knew that I could achieve. I feel like that article does a great job of showcasing how we all get set in one mindset and never really want to go away from it because it is all that we know.  In the second article I feel that it gives a lot of good advice on how to overcome the negativity in our heads.  I like some of the tips they have given and will probably be taking some of them.  I know for a fact that I have a ton of negative voices in my head that always tell me I am not good enough or that I will never graduate but I have been able to learn how to ignore them and by just learning how to become a better student a lot of my voices have gone away.

When I look back at all my years in school the most productive feedback that I have ever gotten is when someone is critical of a paper I have written or a test I have taken.  Even thought I may have wanted to do well with both items I feel that that criticism I was given is very constructive that helps me better analyze what I need to focus on the next time I have an assignment due.  Yes, it is defeating to find out that I did not do so well but in the end it definitely helps me become a better student. The negative part of this is that it can be demoralizing.  It would bring up voice sin my head that would tell me  I am not good enough or that school is not for me.  That would trigger my depression and the next thing I know I am failing all my classes which is not what I want.  I just feel like criticism overall will help and hurt anyone because it will make people feel like they aren't good enough and yet will show them that they can strive upward and become a better person. There is always a negative and a positive and I feel like the positive of criticism definitely helps shape us to become better people.

Self Criticism (2016)
Team at Creative Commons Zero; Source:Child Small Criticism Self-Criticism Shame







Comments

Popular Posts