Feedback Strategies

The first article that I read was How to Give Bad Feedback Without Being a Jerk.  I found this article very interesting because, I myself have been in positions where I have had to give feedback.  When I was working full time at an oil company I had to give feedback to our manufacturers about what they were doing right or wrong.  I know for myself it was very hard at the beginning to know how to give constructive criticism without sound like a jerk.  I know that if I had read this article before I had ever started my job then I would have been better prepared for it.  I think it is a smart idea, that when you are giving feedback, that you make yourself vulnerable as well so you can get on the same level as the person you are trying to help.  I have learned that by doing that it makes you seem more human and that you are not trying to make them feel worthless.  I was never that sure about what feedback was supposed to do when I was working but after reading this article I now see that feedback is supposed to help build someone up and make them feel that they are on the right track.

The second article I read was The Difference Between Praise and Feedback. I have always known the difference between praise and feedback because usually when I get feedback my father is kind of stern if I need to improve on anything. I feel like now a days people don't really differeniate with praise and feedback towards younger kids.  Like the article talks about, it seems that the seem to using the same type of method to tell the kids if they need to work on anything and I feel that a kid so young could get that confused with praise and as they grow up they think that it is just a suggestion not something that the really need to work on.  Personally, I feel that feedback and praise are distinguishable because my employers or family have used different tones of voice with me.  I feel that. little more sternest in feedback really drives the message home, that you can improve on something.

Overall, I feel like giving feedback for me is very natural for me.  I have been told that when I give feedback it doesn't sound like feedback at all but sort of like suggestions.  I know for me feedback has helped shaped me into the person that I am today and has helped me through school and work. I would advise everyone to be receptive of feedback and to not take it so seriously because all the people are trying to do is to help you become better at what you are trying to do.


Feedback (October 27, 2006)
SilverStar; Source: Wikicommons

Comments

Popular Posts