Reading Notes Part B; Egypt: The Tale of Rhampsinitus


For my reading part B, I chose to do the Tale of King Rhampsinitus.  I had never heard of this story before and I read it a couple of times because I found it so interesting. I found the plot of this story to be very intriguing.  I feel that there have been several different iterations of this story that I have heard growing up. It was interesting to read about the builder and how he allowed his sons to steal from the king.  The first question that popped into my mind right away was why would the builder want his sons to steal from the king?  I don’t think I read anything that mentioned that the king had been unfair to anyone of his subjects.  It seemed to me that this story is a little backwards in terms of who the hero is and who the villain is. One thing that I noted when reading this story was that the king was set up traps to capture the thief’s, yet we feel bad when we find out that one brother had to kill his brother to make sure they were not identified.  As the story progresses, we come to find out that the king wants to give his daughter to the man who escaped his traps.  Now when I read this I was like, “What is going on here?”  From the stories that I remember we were always told to be sympathetic towards the hero but in this case, I do not know who I should be rooting for.  What I also like about this story is how it turns the narrative of good vs bad on its head.  In this story both the king and the brothers are in the wrong, yet the story comes across with a happy ending casually not talking about the fact that his brother died stealing from a king who, to us, did nothing to them.  That is seen as immoral and I was confused about how I should feel that the brother got his head chopped off.  At first, I was upset but the more I read the sooner I became aware that if they had not committed a crime then the dead brother would have been alive in the end.  That also leads to the question, “If both brothers are alive instead of one dying, would the princess ever have married the brother or what would have happened.”  Overall, I just have so many questions about this story because it threw me for a 180 but I would suggest reading it for yourself and determine what the moral of the story is.

The Treasured Thief (Jan 22, 2014)
Campfiregn; Source: SlideShare

Bibliography: Gibbs, Laura: Egypt: The Tale of King Rhampsinitus; Egypt: The Tale of King Rhampsinitus

Comments

Popular Posts