Reading Notes Part A: China: The God of War

God of War

I was very interested to read this story because I am a huge fan of Chinese storytelling.  I feel like the Chinese are the best at passing down information through generations and are second to none when it comes to telling stories about their gods and the people they worshiped. I had always been fascinated by the stories they told about the God's that watched over them when in battle.  I feel that this story was a great one to read because it really drew me in from the very beginning to the end.

What I thought was great about this story was that you start reading it thinking you are going to be learning about three great warriors but in the end it is just Guan Yu,  I feel that the story was very descriptive when talking about this man and I was able to visualize him in my head easily.  One thing that I always thought the Chinese were great was describing the characters that were in the stories they were telling. Of course this story does not have the happiest of ending but I think it is a fitting one that shows why he is the master of war.  Even after he dies it is shown that he still cares for the mortals that are fighting against the injustice and the evil in the world.  The only thing that I really wished I knew more about was the other two men, Liu Be and Dschang Fe.  They were introduced to us at the beginning of the story and I thought they would play a more major part but alas they did not. I kind of feel like the first paragraph really has nothing to do with the the whole story and was just kind of out there.  Overall, I feel that this story was a great read and would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn about the God of War.

Altar of Guan Yu. (June 20th, 2009)
Kanegen. Source: Wikipedia


Bibliography: Gibbs, Laura. China: The God of War. China: The God of War

Comments

Popular Posts