Reading Notes: Osiris, Part A

Osiris
The story that I chose to focus on was about the Egyptian God Osiris. I found this story to be fascinating.  I had always thought that the Gods during the Egyptian times were only interested in being praised and having the mortals worship them at all times.  Honestly, when I started this short story, I was not sure what to expect when reading it but after I had made it through, I was astounded.  Osiris is an interesting God that I would actually like to learn more about because it seems he is the type of God that most people should have worshipped/prayed too. I am going to do my story on Osiris because not much background is given about him and I really want to talk more about him and his good deeds to show other people about why he was the best Egyptian God.

The plot of this story was different than previous ones I have read about because it focuses on a God who wanted everyone to live at peace with one another.  Osiris, it seems, was born destined to rule with. Different mindset than most Gods. Osiris came into the world and when he was named ruler after his father went to heaven, he started to institute new laws and policies.  Now what was different was that all these laws that Osiris created was just and fair.  Nothing asked to much from the humans that he governed, and he felt that if they followed the laws, he set then he should help them out.  I found it quite interesting that Osiris was the reason that people learned how to farm and were able to have plenty to eat.  It seems that Osiris came down from his throne as a mortal to teach people how to live holy and happy lives so that they were not fighting against one another for no reason.  It also seems that after peace came unto the world there was an evil force that wanted to incite violence, like we have read about before.  Osiris, it seems, chose a great wife in Isis, because when he was away, she reigned, and she kept everything the way it was and even fought back against Osiris evil brother Set who wanted to destroy the world.

Osiris Tomb of Nefertari. (March 14, 2012)
Mursal; Source: Wikicommons

Bibliography: Gibbs, Laura. Egypt: Osiris. Egypt: Osiris

Comments

Popular Posts