Reading Notes Part A: Brothers Grimm: Cat and Mouse in Partnership

I really enjoyed this story a lot.  Seeing it was from the brothers Grimm collection I thought that it was going to be dark and evil.  That was not the case at all, because it was lighthearted and funny.  I thought that it was hilarious how the cat named his fake godsons after how much he had eaten of the fat.  It took me a second to realize how he was coming up with those names but once I figured it out, it was quite hysterical.  I also thought it was interesting that the story had the cat and mouse team up together to try to survive the winter.  I thought for sure the cat was going to kill the mouse right away,  and I was surprised when he didn't.

One thing that I did not like about this story was that the mouse died.  It really felt like she was going to end up eating the cat and her fortunes would be reversed.  Even though I know it is a dark fairytale it sure was upsetting.  One question that I do have is how did the mouse not know what was going on right away? Did it not seem odd with the names that the cat was calling his god children? Also, that cat was a really big jerk by making the mouse feel bad that she couldn’t leave the house.  I would have enjoyed this fairytale a little more if the mouse had ended up killing the cat as justice.

Cat chasing Mouse (January 8, 2010)
Jeroen Moes. Source:Flickr

Bibliography. Gibbs, Laura. Brothers Grimm: Cat and Mouse in Partnership. Brothers Grimm: Cat and Mouse in Partnership

Comments

Popular Posts